Tourism and Hotel Management
Applied higher education
To provide an internationally recognised and competitive education for work in the private, public and non-profit sectors as a specialist, entrepreneur or manager. To acquire skills at a high level with respect to the necessary competencies required in the tourism industry - including client mentality, service readiness, critical and analytical thinking abilities, problem solving, team work, foreign languages and computer technologies, as well as any other skills required for the business.
The programme is suitable for those who:
- Have an interest in working in the tourism industry
- Have suitable characteristics - including good communication skills, openness, innovativeness, critical thinking and a readiness to learn.
- Have a good general knowledge of the community, history, geography and culture
- Have a good knowledge of foreign languages (at least English; Finnish is an asset) and a desire to develop further foreign language skills
The programme consists of 180 European credit points (ECTS), including social and business sciences orientation modules (48 ECTS), the tourism industry orientation module (24ECTS), the tourism management orientation module (24ECTS), as well as a specialised module (24 ECTS). Students have the option to pick from two specialised modules:
- Specialty module of management of accommodation and spa operations
- Specialty module of management of tourism destination
The programme also consists of elective courses (12 ECTS), optional courses (6 ECTS), work placements (totalling 33 ECTS) and a final thesis (9 ECTS). The coursework ends with the thesis defense.